Every patient will receive a sheet of detailed aftercare instructions after their first treatment. It is imperative that you apply proper aftercare to your skin after each treatment. Doing so helps prevent infection and serious unwanted side effects from developing. Here are a few aftercare instructions to follow:
- Patients must keep the treated tattoo clean and dry at all times. Gently wash the treatment site with water and soap then pat to dry. Cover with a sterile bandage three times a day for the first three days following a treatment.
- Patients may shower as long as the treatment site is not being directly hit by high pressure water. Avoid soaking activities such as swimming, hot tubs, saunas, etc.
- Avoid long periods of sun exposure. Apply a sunblock of SPF 25 or higher once the tattoo has completely healed. Wear appropriate clothing to minimize direct sun exposure.
- Blistering is a very common side effect. Although unsightly, patients must refrain from popping the blister. Allow the blister to heal on its own, then apply an antibiotic ointment and cover with a sterile bandage.
- Do not pick any scabs that form. Doing so can lead to infection and risks of scarring.
- If you experience any discomfort, take Tylenol. Avoid taking Aspirin as it can increase risks of bleeding and/or bruising.
- If you notice any unusual side effects, feel free to call us!